Who We Are:
In the phonetic alphabet, Zulu is the end of the line. A Zulu mission is a mission which requires perfect execution because failure is not an option. When the stakes are real, flawless execution requires attention to detail and focus on what really matters. We take this philosophy into our product development, using solid first principles to deliver designs which are simple and work well.
Zulu Pod’s packaged oil delivery (ZPod) system is aimed at changing the way in which we address the mission of allowing turbomachinery to operate for short durations (up to an hour) without a primary lubrication system. This can apply both to systems which are single use, where Zulu Pods provides the opportunity to operate for the intended mission without a traditional lubrication system (Zulu Pod’s primary system), or in emergency systems where the traditional primary lubrication system has failed and Zulu Pod is activated to allow aircraft to safely land minimizing risk to loss of life and protection of assets (Zulu Pod’s secondary system).
Zulu Pods is a company focused on developing optimal lubrication solutions. We accomplish this by first separating the tasks of cooling and lubrication for mechanical systems, and second, by packaging oil and bringing it as close as possible to where it is needed. Our company holds patented technology including concepts for the storage, release, transport, and metering of flow from packaged oil systems for short duration lubrication of bearings, gears, and seals.
We are a company composed of technical experts in mechanical design of turbomachinery with members and partners with as many as 40 years experience individually and combined experience totalling more than 150 years. We are passionate designers, professionals and people. At Zulu Pods we believe in bringing your human to work and embrace out of the box thinking and creativity.
We are seeking a talented and motivated Research and Development Engineer to be a key member of our team in developing our revolutionary distributed lubrication technology.
- An expert in thermal engineering and have interest in mechanical systems.
- A person modified by work on small teams with high impact.
- Excited to participate in building a company culture from the ground up.
- Down to earth with big ambitions.
- Develop & execute test programs and strategies to define wear characteristics of turbine engine materials and components.
- Coordinate specimen extraction/fabrication, test fixture design and procurement, instrumentation, post test data analysis, formal report writing and archiving of data and specimens.
- Develop new testing methods and technologies to monitor material behavior in unique and challenging turbine engine environments.
- Design, define & procure new test equipment and instrumentation to augment test lab capabilities.
- Daily interaction, oversight and coordination of testing equipment operation, maintenance, and lab personnel.
- Build effective teams by collaborating with both internal technicians and engineers as well as external customers, universities, and service suppliers.
- Collaborate and work effectively on several multi-functional problem-solving teams that include engineers and associates of other disciplines including Design, Structures, Materials Development, Quality and Operations.
- We work very closely with other engineers and scientists who contribute other expertise in other key systems.
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or equivalent.
- Experience in thermal analysis of bearings, gears and mechanical seals in aerospace application.
- Prior experience in projects related to research and development in thermal system technologies or analyses.
- Due to the nature of the work applicants must be US Citizens with no known issues that would prevent them from obtaining security clearances.
- This work will take place onsite at our Amherst, MA location. Applicants must be located, or able to relocate, near to this area.
Zulu Pods is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. Individuals who require reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act in order to participate in the search process should notify our Office of Human Resources.